The twin organization, Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission was founded by Swami Vivekananda in 1897.
Ramakrishna Movement is a non-profit spiritual organisation which aims at the harmony of religions, harmony of the East and the West, spiritual fulfillment all-round development of human faculties, social equality, and peace for all humanity, without any distinctions of creed, caste, race or nationality. RAMAKRISHNA MISSION is a registered society in which monks lay devotees cooperate in conducting various types of social service.
The organisation has 176 branch centres all over India and in different parts of the world.The two-fold aim of service activities, indeed the whole ideology of Ramakrishna Movement, has been put in a nutshell in the MOTTO of the Movement, ‘For one’s own salvation and for the welfare of the world’, formulated by Swami Vivekananda.
The main goals and objectives of the organization, based on the principles of Practical Vedanta, are:
- To spread the idea of the potential divinity of every being and how to manifest it through every action and thought.
- To spread the idea of harmony of religions based on Sri Ramakrishna’s experience that all religions lead to the realization of the same Reality known by different names in different religions. The Mission honors and reveres the founders of all world religions such as Buddha, Christ and Mohammed.
- To treat all work as worship and service to man as service to God.
- To make all possible attempts to alleviate human suffering by spreading education, rendering medical service, serving villagers through rural development centres, etc.
- To work for the all-round welfare of humanity, especially for the uplift of the poor and the downtrodden.